Before Ohio Hi-Point existed, the campus was home to the 664th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron of the United States Air Force.
Established in 1951 during the Cold War, the radar facility monitored the skies at the highest point in Ohio as part of the nation’s Air Defense Forces. After the base was phased out in 1969, Logan County educators established Ohio Hi-Point JVS and opened its doors to students in 1974 after voters approved a levy, offering six programs to students.
Rich in history, you will find artifacts, photos, and articles displayed in the school paying homage to the servicemen and women of the 664th A.C.&W. Squadron.
Many of the original buildings remain and have been renovated to fit the needs of the career center; however, a $1.9 million addition to the main building in early 1995 brought more classroom space and a state-of-the-art technology center. Later that same year, the school's name was changed from Ohio Hi-Point JVS to Ohio Hi-Point Career Center. The purpose of the change was to give a clearer meaning of opportunities for young people and adults still pursuing an education with a career goal in mind.
In 2018, voters approved a permanent improvement levy which will help create new learning spaces, provide students more opportunities to study in labs that offer advanced technical training needed for the in-demand careers of today, and make repairs and improvements to enhance safety and prolong the use of the existing buildings on the Bellefontaine Main Campus.