BELLEFONTAINE, Ohio – During Wednesday evening’s regularly scheduled Ohio Hi-Point Board of Education meeting, Sam Lewis with INCompliance, the career center’s regulation and compliance consultant during the building construction project, gave the board the first monthly update on the building renovation project, including scope of work, budget, and timeline.
After the career center’s ground breaking on February 4, Monarch Construction immediately started demolition work at the old main entrance to prepare for the new addition as well as started construction work in the new mechanical and central plant area within the building. The project remains on track and on budget.
The Board of Education hired two new teachers for next school year. Julia B. Naus was approved as the Agriculture Education satellite instructor at Kenton High School, and Evan D. See was approved as the Engineering satellite instructor at Marysville Early College High School.
Chloe Grisez, a Culinary Arts senior from Triad High School, and Damien Opel, an Engineering Academy senior from Indian Lake High School, were recognized as the February Students of the Month.
Devin Durbin, Facility Specialist, was recognized as the February Staff Member of the Month.
The Board approved the resignation of Robin Curley (Animal Science instructor) for the purpose of retirement effective February 28, 2021. “Mrs. Curley has been at OHP for over 30 years and brought a tremendous amount of knowledge and industry connections to the Animal Science program. I appreciate her service and the dedication to her students. We wish her the best in her retirement,” said Superintendent Dr. Rick Smith.
In other board action:
· Heard the Legislative Report from Paul McMahill
· Approved the minutes of the January 13, 2021 Board of Education meeting
· Approved the action items recommended by the Treasurer including the January 2021 Financial Statement, interest and investments, appropriation modification, transfers, and advances, and appropriation increases and decreases.
· Approved internship agreements with the list of companies provided.
· Approved the employment of Daniel Holbrook (Belle Center) as a substitute teacher.
· Approved extended days and supplemental contracts for listed employees.
· Approved the donation of a Corghi Tire Changer and a Corghi Tire Balancer for use
in the auto technology lab from Joe Chapman of Marysville, OH. Estimated value:
· Approved the Out-of-State Professional Development of Mary Trudgeon (Upper Scioto Valley satellite IT instructor).
· Approved tuition reimbursement payments for approved staff members.
· Approved new substitute teacher requirements.
· Approved the 2022/2023 and revised 2021/2022 district calendars.
The next Board of Education meeting is Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 7 p.m.